Wednesday 27 November 2019

‘My Style Has To Change To Avoid Same Result’ – Anthony Joshua



Former heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua admits that he knew for the last two years that certain adjustments were necessary for his fighting style - and failure to fix them would result in a loss.

That loss finally happened back in June, when huge underdog Andy Ruiz dropped him four times to secure a seventh round stoppage and captured the WBO, IBF, IBO, WBA heavyweight titles.


The rematch is scheduled for December 7th in Saudi Arabia.

Now Joshua's making the adjustments that he's been pushing for, according to him, for the last two years.

One of the evident adjustments was to cut down on his muscle mass, which he believes affected his mobility and his stamina in the loss to Ruiz.

"There's definitely stuff I can work on," said Joshua during 'Gloves Are Off' on Sky Sports. "I've been screaming this for two years in my gym, 'I keep on going this way, I'm going to end up getting beat soon!'.

"But sometimes when the tools in your military box, in your army box, are working and you're slaying the division, sometimes you don't need to sharpen your other tools.

"But I've been saying it for two years. That's why I say now, I go back to my instincts. My style has to change. If I want the same result, I do the same thing in preparation. If I want a different result, I have to do different things in training.

"Not change everything. I haven't got enough time to reinvent the whole plan and there's certain leaks that I've been saying that I need to tighten up on, but it's all good."

No comments:

Post a Comment